Friday, January 20, 2012

Music saves the day!

Never underestimate the power of blasting instrumental music in class.
I thought the kids would not buy it. Instrumental music sounds lame and old-style... Or so I thought they would think.
But guess what?! Miracle happened!
I requested 5 minutes of silence before I can allow music into the class.
We did subtracting using our own fingers. They had to stay silent but showed me they got the correct number when I checked how many fingers are closed or opened.
It was kinda cute, cos I stayed kinda silent too, only nodding and putting a thumbs-up sign if they were correct.
Amazing effect!!! They were learning too! I might missed out a few but most of them got it while I walked around the class checking their fingers.
Then, I requested them to copy the questions on the board and try to finish it silently while the music is being played. Music ON!
Track:
1. Howl's moving castle theme song
2. Aerith's Theme - Final Fantasy 7
3. Kaze no toori michi (Totoro theme song) - Joe Hisashi
4. Romance de amor - Richard Clayderman
5. By My Side - David Choi
6. Valentine - Kina Grannis

Students in class continued staying silent and putting effort in answering the questions given. I went around checking and marking their answers as they answered. They raised hands to ask for help and they whispered their inquiries to me when I stood next to them. AWESOME!!!
FYI, they were the most overly-active kids in the whole form! FTW!! FTK!!!

However, I released them too early, confused by the school schedule. One of my kids went and disturbed the next class and caused a HUGE scene!!! My bad~ so sorry~ ='(
Note to self: Must prep extra questions for seriously fast-learners!! and get blasting speakers...

No comments: